Monday, February 12, 2007

Punch Rare Corojo Magnum

I only have a short time to review this cigar, but I figure a quick review is better then no review at all!

I would like to start out this review by thanking Jacob (JCole311) for hooking me up with a number of Premo smokes so that we could do a side by side review!

Setting: Outside my dorm. around 2:20pm (after lunch)
Beverage: None
Smoke time: 45-50 minutes

The wrapper on this box pressed cigar looked terrific. There were a few veins, but nothing a little box pressing didn't smooth out! The cigar produced a lot of thick smoke, which I really enjoyed. The burn on the cigar was suprisingly off. I did not have to relight the cigar at anytime which was nice, but I expected more of an even burn with a cigar made by Punch. Although it never fully evened out, the burn did correct itself somewhat about halfway into the cigar. The construction of the cigar was quite good, the ash finally fell off on its own after I smoked more then 1/4th of it!

At first, I thought that this was going to be a mild cigar, but shortly after it was lit, it turned into a medium bodied cigar. I couldn't exactly put my finger on a certain "taste", but it tasted somewhat peppery to me. Towards the last quarter of the cigar, the taste got somewhat bitter, but not overwhelmingly.

Although I am VERY greatful for the opportunity to review this cigar, I would have to say that I enjoyed the Punch Pita EMS a lot more then I enjoyed the Rare Corojo Magnum. With the prices being around $4 for the Pita compared to a $7 price tag on the Corojo, I will stick with the Pita. With that being said, I did enjoy the cigar and I would smoke another one if it was gifted to me, I just dont think I will be purchasing any of these in the near future.

Punch Rare Corojo Magnum Score: 29.5/50.

2 comments:

CJOHNSEN3 said...

While I'm not that familiar with the Punch line in general, I've had a rare corojo or two and I've found the corojo wrapper to be a bit on the strong side for me.

Unknown said...

cjohnson3, I don't think there is any corojo in that cigar at all despite the name. That being said it is a bit on the strong side. I have never had a Punch RC magnum that I liked but have enjoyed many Punch RC Pitas in the past. That may be one to try AJ.